Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Chronicles of Cayennetology Volume II

Day 2 – Act 1!

Here I must commend Kyk on his nerves of steel, or maybe it was his stomach of steel. The alarm went off at 05:30 on Saturday morning and I stumbled out of bed and off to the kitchen. Kyk politely planted a mug of coffee in my hand and didn’t even bat an eye at this sleepy apparition with wild hair in flannel pyjamas with penguins all over them. Believe me, this was an achievement!

Off to the radio station… after I got dressed of course although I was tempted to go in my PJs.

It was still dark when we got to the studio. As Kyk’s show progressed the light crept in through the glass doors. There is something rather magical about watching a city wake up. It’s almost as if you can see her stretch and rub her eyes. Cape Town wakes up rather beautifully and classical music seems to be the perfect soundtrack to accompany this stretch and rub session.

Hm, highlights of the radio show… I stole Kyk’s coffee. Hee hee! Oh, my thieving probably isn’t a highlight though. But his dejected face was kind of cute. I did make up for my faux pas by replacing the pilfered beverage with a fresh one.

The next statement is going to make me sound like a lovesick teenager and I am probably going to make Kyk blush… oh, what the hell!

Kyk has the perfect radio voice! Coupled with classical music, the mix gels just… well, perfectly. Sitting reading a book listening to a classical music show occasionally punctuated with Kyk’s voice between tracks made me feel frightfully cultured, very relaxed and… like a big girl now. Of course sitting in the studio with him and listening to his running commentary during the more staid adverts just had me in a fit of giggles which had to be stifled every time he went on air again. A lesson in extreme self control!

Oh, and his news reader called him a “grootbek” or “big mouth” as it were. Hee hee!

After the show it was off to Cavendish Square for coffee and doughnuts. I had an Americano, I had an Americano… it’s rather yum! And after attending to some chores like collecting the mail and buying some ingredients for our supper date with M we headed off to Canal Walk specifically because I wanted to go to a book shop – I have a book fetish, you see.

The visit to the bookshop was fairly short which was a good thing because my bank balance was tottering in the red on the wrong side of Broke. However, the funds were further decimated because Kyk introduced me to Experilab. Experilab is a toy shop with something for everyone. For me, a slinky (because I’ve always wanted one), for Flyboy a puzzle sort of exactly like a Rubic’s Cube but entirely different (because I want my Sudoku book back) and for Kyk…. if the typing becomes shaky it is because I am laughing while I type this.

Kyk discovered a container full of false front teeth, the type that fits over your front teeth and gums. He picked a most hideous set with well spaced out pegs that look like wood… and there are ulcers on the gums. After he paid for his purchases (plural because he bought a pair of really nerdy glasses too) he waited for me outside the shop while I paid and chatted to the shop assistant.

As I walked out the shop Kyk was standing with his back to me and turned around when I said something to him. My heart nearly stopped! I would never have thought it is possible to turn a good looking man into… a biological experiment gone wrong! Those teeth are psychologically disturbing! I am mentally scarred for life! Needless to say when we got home we had a passport photo session. Kyk can now apply for a passport under the name of Beuford T Justice from the Deep South where it is legal to marry your cousin (no offence intended to any American readers, if you ever see those teeth, you will understand).

Next stop, Toys ‘R’ Us in Canal Walk (or, as Kyk quipped, Boys ‘R’ Us in Anal Walk). I am not going to spoil this story for Terri but I will say I got to talk to a turd in a toilet. No, literally, not figuratively. Oh, Kyk bought a really cool RoboTech toy for himself, which he promptly broke when trying to assemble it… why am I sitting here laughing like a twit?

Oh dear! *wiping eyes*

Then it was “Home Rhythm and Music, and Don’t Spare the Horses” because we had to go and play with our purchases. Oh, and prepare for our dinner date.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That ain't funny.

12:58 pm  
Blogger Mandy J Watson said...

KN - that was very clever!

Katt - I love your description of Cape Town waking up. I've had few late nights/early mornings in the city (working) and you described it perfectly (except I usually...well...never...have a classical-music soundtrack).

5:01 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

goodness that was very funny katt!

BTW- turning a lovely shade of unripe avocado here...

11:09 pm  
Blogger Framesby 86 said...

This is just so good!!!! Any chance you have a pic of Kyk in that getup????

11:59 am  
Blogger Katt said...

Beuford: I thought you said you can't read!

Mandy J Watson: Well, to be honest I never thought I would be doing anything to a classical music soundtrack, except watching Immortal Beloved. But it really did fit. You must ask Kyk to suggest something to wake up to.

Angel: You have no idea how I was laughing when I wrote it. :-)

Buddess: Unfortunatly no. I took the photies with his camera.

4:42 pm  
Blogger TheTart said...

AND more fun!
Bet the music event was worth every minute ... any pics?

Smooch,
The Tart
; *

12:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home